Monday, July 28, 2008

New Address for Trevor and a Golf Fund Raiser



On Tuesday I drove over to Charleston Illinois to help Trevor move into a house in town. Last year he was living with several football players on the out skirts of town. The house was owned by one of the senoir football players and after he graduated they wanted to sell that house. So Trevor will be moving into a house with two other defensive linemen. While at Charleston I parked the RV at Fox Ridge State Park. It is 6.3 miles from the intersection of Illinois highways 16 and 130 in Charleston.
Usually I make reservation while staying at Fox Ridge because we are staying on weekends and want to be sure we get a spot. Since I was arriving on Tuesday I felt safe not making reservations. I parked in site 13.

I choose site 13 because it looked level and it had 50 amp electric. After leveling the RV, I plugged in the electric and it was not working. So I switched to 30 amp and it worked fine. I was in a little bit of a hurry to get to town to meet Trevor for dinner and decided that 30 amp was enough for the night. After dinner we went to Trevor's house, and I was put to work fixing his furniture and advising the guys about various things. Wednesday morning the ranger fixed the electric by replacing the breaker. He told me that was the last breaker that they had for the year due to the budget cuts. The people that use our state parks are not happy with our governor. He has raised the rates and cut back on services.
The house is a typical bungalo with two bedrooms and a bath on one side with the front, dining and kitchen on the other. I appears to have been built in the 20's or 30's and is in good shape.
The room mates Andre, Jeff, and Trevor.

Wednesday morning we put Trevor's room together. Then Trev and I played a round of golf to practice for the golf outing. When we got back Danni and Pug had fixed a nice pasta dinner.


I returned the favor on Thursday with a brunch after the guys' morning workout.



Thursday afternoon we drove to Mahomet for the golf fund raiser. I parked in the stadium parking lot while I waited for Trevor to finish up a few things.


At Mohamet we parked at Tin Cup RV Park. I parked here last year as it is across the road from the golf course. Last year I parked with the overnighters. They have a row of spots for overnight parking with full hookups near the entrance. Those spots a crowded and everyone pretty much keeps to themselves. Since I was staying two nights I asked if I could park in the back. Those sites are only 30 amp with full hookup.

After setting up I met my neighbors and talked with them for over an hour. They told me they were concerned when they saw me pull in because they all let their kids and pets run, and they all liked to drink and party in the evenings. I told them that is why I did not want to stay in front with the overnighters. That I wanted to be with the real people, and we got along just fine.

The golf outing was on Friday, lasting most of the day. We had a good time hitting the ball, drinking a few beers, then eating chicken. As a group we shot eleven under. We are not good golfers, but when we needed to make a shot one of us did. Truly a team effort. Saturday morning I packed up and headed home.

Ken F.



No comments: